Monday, December 22, 2008

Disgusted

I have taken my hate of officers of the Philippine National Police into a whole new level. I have found that my pride as a Filipino has greatly been diminished. And lastly, I have noticed an unconscious twitch at the sight of those children in the streets.

Normally, hate would be a pretty strong word for me to use. I’d much prefer saying “I dislike” – as if to say I don’t like something doesn’t mean I hate it. But the other day, I have confirmed this strong repulsive feeling of disgust, disgrace, and utter shame on those big bellied people in blue, who claim to be living examples of service, honor, and justice. 50 or so fellow Filipino stampeded on my Filipino pride. And the divine spark I had seen in a street child’s eyes had vanished. All of the above happened in a span of one Saturday evening.

Saturday, was just one of those days that had you going out of your mind because of the turtle-like pace of the traffic ahead. My Girlfriend and I were on route to a friend’s house for dinner and some bonding. Along the way, going to Roxas just beside the CCP complex, we came across two old ladies of their late 40’s in my estimation. They had caused a major bottleneck on the rode because of a stalled car. In panic, one of the old ladies jumped out to try and push the car to the side of the road. It was a sight that would have left you feeling conscientious, if you had any.

But in that jam of about 50 or more cars, being the Filipinos that we are, no one even glanced twice at the two ladies or remotely made a move to help. I guess they were too comfortable inside their SUV’s and Deluxe Sedans to even care. So, they drove passed without looking back but instead blowing their horns angrily. In that moment and in the spirit of Christmas, I decided to tell my Girlfriend that we will be a little late for the gathering and told her to take the wheel. I rushed pass the myriad of horns that blew my way as I approached the two ladies, who turned out to be Koreans and can’t understand a tad bit of Tagalog.

I helped them push their car right at the mouth of the huge entrance to the CCP complex, just a couple of steps away from the corner of Roxas. All the while, I was swearing under my breath towards the many cars that continuously blew their horns. As we reached an area where I thought was safe enough to park the car, I suddenly catch myself thinking “Bat ba ako naging Pinoy?”

The moment we had the car parked, I asked the ladies if they knew anyone they could call for help. The other responded with a nod and said “husband”. I told her to call her husband and instructed them to stay put while I try to call for help. As I took out my phone, almost immediately I saw a street kid trying to look into the open door of the parked car. Acting on instinct, I barked at the kid to go away, reverted my attention to the ladies and gave them another set of instructions – this time a little more precise. “Please stay in the car and lock your doors. Wait for me to come back” I said. I saw my Girlfriend park her car and told her the same.

I searched through my phone for a number that might be of any help and found none. I knew neither a number of a towing service or a mechanic. I realized there was police station just across Roxas, turned around to tell the ladies I was going there for help, and what do I see? There was another guy trying to take advantage. He was one of those “pulube’s” claiming to be a mechanic. And before I could even react, my Girlfriend said with force and elegance “Salamat po manong, pero tumawag na kami ng pulis.” The guy strolled away peacefully. (And I realized I have the best Girlfriend ever and I’m gonna marry her one of these days!)

I went to the station where I found, to my delight, 3 officers who looked very willing to help in their ironed blues. I told them my story and asked for their help. And what do they say? Simply: “pasensya na po sir. Wala yan sa jurisdiction namen e. Dun ka ho sa kabilang estasyon.” I glared with disgust and asked them if they could just make the call or at least give me a number for the other station or a towing service. Again, they simply said “wala ho e.”

I was furious at this point and restrained myself to yell the words “They need your help and they’re just across the friggin’ street!” I could not believe it. Was this the “service” they meant when they thought of their logo?

When all this commotion was over I found myself disgusted, frustrated, and disappointed. I smelled hypocrisy all over.

There on television you’ll see advertisements of pride of country and how “ninoy” we are or could be. There on the stalls of many many “change” are the words “Pinoy ako” or “Proud to be Pinoy.” But from the looks of things, we are a long way there and we have no right to be proud if this is how a “Pinoy” would act. We can’t even stop to help two old ladies in need. Worst of all, were still mad at them for being in that situation and causing a minor disruption in our harmonious lives!

Is this the way ninoy would have acted? No no… The proper question is “is this how Catholics or Christians would have acted?” Is this the way you church goers on that strip of the CCP complex at that time should have acted? And to think that Christmas is just around the corner, one would assume that at least the season would promote a little kindness in our hearts. But, apparently not. Were we raised in such manner as to dismiss someone genuinely in need? Shame on you! People like you are the one’s giving Filipinos a bad wrap! And here you are trying to blame everything to dirty politics and such! How dare you?!

For those who had and oath to “serve and protect”, I look to you lower than ever. I have consciously tried to see you as a point of authority in my respect that some of you do honest work. I am disgusted with your uniform and your logo and everything you claim you stand for!

In my studies of our nation’s constitution, I saw no proclamation that there was a need for jurisdiction to help out someone in need. Not only did you cite “jurisdiction” as an excuse not to move your lazy asses out of your little shit-hole called your office, you also refused to do anything! It is impossible that you DO NOT know the number of your other offices! Are you so lazy that you refuse to just look at a piece of paper and at least try to look for a number? You are a disgrace to your badge and your uniform. FUCK YOU!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home